Monday, September 24, 2007

What religion, please tell me, tells you as a follower of that religion to occupy another country and kill its people? Please tell me. Does Christianity tell its followers to do that?

http://ezraklein.typepad.com/blog/2007/09/interviewing-ah.html

> AHMADEINEJAD: Well, is Mr. Bush a religious man?
>
> PELLEY: Very much so. As you are.
>
> AHMADEINEJAD: What religion, please tell me, tells you as a
> follower of that religion to occupy another country and kill its
> people? Please tell me. Does Christianity tell its followers to do
> that? Judaism, for that matter? Islam, for that matter? What
> prophet tells you to send 160,000 troops to another country, kill
> men, women, and children? You just can't wear your religion on your
> sleeve or just go to church. You should be truthfully religious.
> Religion tells us all that you should respect the property, the
> life of different people. Respect human rights. Love your fellow
> man. And once you hear that a person has been killed, you should be
> saddened. You shouldn't sit in a room, a dark room, and hatch
> plots. And because of your plots, many thousands of people are
> killed. Having said that, we respect the American people. And
> because of our respect for the American people, we respectfully
> talk with President Bush. We have a respectful tone. But having
> said that, I don't think that that is a good definition of
> religion. Religion is love for your fellow man, brotherhood,
> telling the truth.
>
> PELLEY: I take it you can't think of anything you like about
> President Bush.
>
> AHMADEINEJAD: Well, I'm not familiar with the gentleman's private
> life. Maybe in his private life he is very kind or a determined
> man. I'm not aware of that. I base my judgment on what I see in his
> public life. Having said that, I think that President Bush can
> behave much better. There were golden opportunities for President
> Bush. He should have used them better.

Ok. So now I find myself in agreement with this guy I'm supposed to
hate. What a bummer.

No comments: